What to do what to do? So many new juicy talents, so few talent points to spend! It is so exciting to see all the new talents and think about the new possibilities.
Even though I am a tank at heart, one of the things I kept thinking when going over the new protection talent tree was all the possibilities that the new protection talents bring to PVP. Sounds a little bizarre, doesn’t it?
Think of some of these new talents in terms of PVP:
- Improved Spell Reflection – A 15 rage ability on a 10 second cooldown that lasts for 5 seconds. This would be awesome in a PVP situation.
- Toughness – Reduced movement impairing effects is always a good thing in PVP.
- Improved Disarm – Reduces disarm to 40 second cooldown, and lasts for 10 seconds. Think about that. You can now, remove that MS warriors weapon for 20 seconds out of a minute. OR, you can use that disarm against a focus target to help burst them down with the increased damage.
- Vigilance – Think about how much easier this will make it to keep that hunter/warlock pet pulled off of your healer or otherwise.
- Safeguard – Help stop burst damage on a teammate.
- Warbringer – All new snare/root breaking abilities.
- Shockwave – Pulling this off in arenas will be tricky, but a 4 sec stun on the entire team would be pretty devastating, not to mention you’ll be able to do it every 20 seconds.
Now granted, MS is still pretty much required for serious arena play, but protection warriors just got a boost to viability in PVP. Couple all the above with the fact that prot DPS has increased dramatically and you now have a very good shot at going PVP as prot.
But of course, we’re here to talk about tanking, right?! I suppose at this point I could post up my planned 3.0 tanking spec and we could hash out why I made the choices I did. Long story short is that there are so many abilities, I just want ’em all! Waiting the next month before we’ll get new talent points is going to be brutal! Until then, I’ll probably tinker with a few different specs in regards to tanking. I’ll be looking at Main Tank specs, as well as OT/Support/DPS specs too.
For now, you should check out what Vene posts as his planned 3.0 spec.
For the sake of argument, here is the spec I think I’ll go with.