So you’ve just hit revered with Lower City, bought your [item]Auchenai Key[/item] and are ready to head into heroics? Tanking heroic dungeons can be a challenging and fulfilling experience. Or it can leave you in a quivering pile of flesh and bone…
Agreeing to tank a heroic is not something you should do lightly if you have never done so before. Obviously you will need to have some decent gear, which you should have anyway if you have run enough normal instances to get your heroic key.
As a general rule of thumb, you’ll want to be able to hit 12,500 hitpoints and armor, although you could probably do it with less. Make sure you have 490 defense so you can avoid those crits. If you have the luxury of multiple gear sets, for heroics you’ll want to focus less on avoidance and more on mitigation (stamina, armor, shield block).
Know Your Encounters
Next up is knowledge. You’ll need to be familiar with what is different in a heroic vs. a normal dungeon. You may need to build a resist set depending on the encounter. For example, having a Shadow Resist set for Pandemonius can make the first boss in Heroic Mana Tombs a joke (I’m sitting at about 265 in my shad resist set). Head over to www.wowwiki.com and read up on the changes to trash mobs and bosses.
Group makeup is also important. For most heroics you’ll want multiple forms of cc, which CAN include bringing along another tankly type as an offtank! A good healer is also required as heroic mobs just dish out too much damage.
You’ll need to make sure you are capable of handling multi-pulls as a loose mob can often one shot healers and other low armor targets resulting in a probable wipe.
Here are some of the better loot items you can get from heroics:
- [item]The Sun Eater[/item] – Mechanar *practically a must have
- [item]Argussian Compass[/item] – Underbog
- [item]Girdle of the Immovable[/item] – Slave Pens
- [item]Ironscale War Cloak[/item] – Slave Pens
- [item]Boots of the Colossus[/item] – Mana Tombs
- [item]Crystal Band of Valor[/item] – Mana Tombs
- [item]Warp-Storm Warblade[/item] – Mana Tombs
- [item]The Fel Barrier[/item] – Mana Tombs
- [item]Fanblade Pauldrons[/item] – Auchenai Crypts
- [item]Maladaar’s Blessed Chaplet[/item] – Auchenai Crypts
- [item]Spaulders of Dementia[/item] – Sethekk Halls
- [item]Lieutenant’s Signet of Lordaeron[/item] – Old Hillsbrad
- [item]Resounding Ring of Glory[/item] – Old Hillsbrad
- [item]Truncheon of Five Hells[/item] – Hellfire Ramparts
- [item]Lion’s Heart Girdle[/item] – Hellfire Ramparts
- [item]Eaglecrest Warboots[/item] – Blood Furnace
You can use this link to browse more over at the armory.
Heroics can grant you some needed gear upgrades and can be very fun and challenging, just be sure you are up for the challenge otherwise you may end up with expensive repair bills